17 Sep A busy month of Health Champion Training!
The Health Promotion team have had a busy month kicking off this years’ sessions of Health Champion Training as part of the Health Matters at Work Initiative. This month alone we are hosting 9 sessions across both our Newry and Belfast venues with the hope of training well over 100 champions.
The aim of this training is to provide guidance and tools for an appointed individual in the workplace to act as a health advocate by promoting, advising, facilitating and developing a workplace health & wellbeing Strategy.
The main responsibility of each Health Champion is to:
- Conduct a Health & Wellbeing survey with staff
- Promote relevant health messages and events within the workplace
- Provide basic information to colleagues about Health & Wellbeing
- Signpost colleagues to relevant services/resources
- Promote a healthy culture within the workplace
- Encourage participation in national and local health campaigns
Benefits of Health Champion Training
The course provides a wealth of benefits, not only to those individuals being trained but also to the workplace in which they work. These benefits include:
- Basic health and wellbeing knowledge
- Core communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Confidence to share knowledge and assist colleagues in improving their health and wellbeing
- Skills to build successful health champions simultaneously benefiting both employee and employer
- Collaborating & partnering with organisations to share best practice
We have already received positive feedback so far from Viltra who attended earlier this month:
“I had a great day yesterday at the health champion training with Health Matters. We’re looking forward to getting started with the Health Matters at Work Initiative, to develop our health and wellbeing strategy.”
As part of the ‘Health Matters at Work Initiative’ we provide 2 days of health champion training to each organisation. The first day is ‘an introduction to health & wellbeing at work’ and the second is a workshop targeted at ‘developing a health & wellbeing action plan’. Additionally, we can provide bespoke health champion training as a standalone service to your workplace.