Stay safe this Halloween!

Stay safe this Halloween!

Halloween is an exciting time of year, especially for children, but don’t spoil one night of fun with a lifetime of injury. Prevention of injuries is key. Stay safe and enjoy Halloween.

Put safety first this Halloween to make sure it’s a night for treats- not tragedies. Fireworks and sparklers can be dangerous, so make sure they are used safely and in line with the manufacturer’s instructions.

Fireworks

The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to go to a properly organised display. If you are planning fireworks at home, they must be purchased from a licensed dealer. Fireworks bought elsewhere could be of a sub-standard quality, creating an even bigger risk of injury. It is also essential that you have a licence when buying any fireworks.

You can find more information on fireworks and how to apply for a licence here.

An appropriately stocked first aid kit, water or the appropriate fire extinguisher should always be nearby when using fireworks.

Sparklers

Sparklers are often seen as harmless fun, however, they burn at extremely high temperatures. Did you know sparklers get six times as hot as a pan of cooking oil or as hot as a welder’s torch?

You should:

  • Store sparklers in a closed box in a cool, dry place, away from children
  • Always light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves, keeping them at arm’s length
  • Never hold a sparkler in your hand while also holding a baby or child
  • Plunge finished sparklers hot end down into a bucket of water as soon as they have burnt out (be careful as sparklers stay hot for a long time)
  • Not take sparklers to public displays – it may be too crowded to use them safely
  • Never give sparklers to under fives
  • Always supervise children using sparklers, teach them how to use them properly, and give children woollen gloves to wear

 

Pumpkins

  • Carve your pumpkin in a well-lit room and on a flat surface.
  • Be extra careful when carving your pumpkin and watch out for your fingers.
  • To eliminate fire danger, consider using a battery-powered candle, torch or a glow stick instead of a candle to light your pumpkin. Candlelit pumpkins should be placed away from any flammable objects.

 

Candles

  • Make sure you never leave a candle unattended, as they could cause a fire.
  • If there are children around, teach them to not get too close or touch a flame and do not leave them unsupervised with candles.
  • When you go bed, make sure that all the candles are fully extinguished so you can sleep soundly and safely.
  • Don’t forget to regularly check your smoke alarms- now is a good time of the year to do this as risk of fire may be increased!

 

Fancy Dress Costumes

  • Avoid masks that can block your eyesight, and consider non-toxic makeup or decorative hats as a safer alternative. To prevent skin and eye irritation, remove all makeup properly before bed.
  • Wear well-fitting masks, costumes, and shoes to avoid blocked vision, trips, and falls
  • Halloween costumes and accessories should be fire-resistant, and well-ventilated to prevent asphyxiation and easy ignition near flames. When shopping for a costume, pay special attention to the label: it should clearly state that the costume is flame-resistant

 

A safe halloween is a Happy Halloween!